Monday, February 21, 2005

Have You Done This Checklist?

It is a simple question yet has a difficult answer, it is your life. Why are you doing what you're doing? Is it because you love it? Is it because it pays the bills? Is it because society has told you it is the next thing to do? The simple decisions we make ultimately become our life. Wouldn't it be a good idea to stop every once in a while and try to figure out why you are doing what you're doing.

I know so many college students that if you ask them why they are going to school they say they don't know. They're just going because it was the next thing on the checklist. The checklist of life, go to school, go to college, get a good job, get married, have kids, survive, retire and then die. There is nothing wrong with the checklist, but the checklist is not life. Just because you made it from step 2 to step 3 doesn't mean you are living. I feel so bad for the college students that commit there life to making it through school and working and sacrificing and when they get out they think they are going to have life. Life is now... Not when you get out of school, not when you get married. The choices you make now determine the life you will live. If you don't determine to live in the moment, if there is not purpose and life in what you are doing now, what makes you think there will be later?

Vision, it is so hard to find now days. Someone that has vision for their life. Someone that wants to serve a purpose bigger then themselves. Someone that is not content with the checklist. I know that I'm being idealistic but who wants to be the statues quo? To live a life of vision is to live the great adventure. To take risks, the risk of real relationships and friendships, the risk of doing your own thing rather then follow the footsteps of your family, the risk of committing your life to something greater then yourself. These risks are necessary, they don't always work out, that is why they are called risks. Sometimes your friends will hurt you, sometimes you die when you fight for something greater then yourself, but those that do are always remembered as heroes, people who truly lived, people who truly believed in what they were doing. What are you living for?

13 comments:

B said...

Very thoughtful post. And one that has particular meaning for me. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Motivational post definitely got me to thinking :)

Anonymous said...

Great post. Great blog too. You have really done some nice additions to it. Looks good. You seem wise beyond your years, great job, keep it up.
BTW- I have moved to a new blogsite. I used to be Reggie's Corner. I am now ReggieNation. Check it out.

Anonymous said...

I've found that in order to prepare for the future, you have to be able to predict the future.

And I'm no good at that!

So I keep things simple. Fitness, family, food, blogging and as much time away from work as possible.

Anonymous said...

Yup !

N said...

I was wondering almost the same thing a little over a month ago: Why do we go to school?!
I think 'living' means loving what you do (without hurting others of course..limits are important too) because it's what you want.

My checklist is a little cluttered at the moment, so thanks for the reminder to revise it :D

Mags said...

You and I had similar soul-searching moments yesterday, it seems! I wrote about it in my blog too, check it out, if you haven't already. It's funny - I'm about 11 years older than you are, and I am *still* asking myself the same question!

P.S. I woke up at 1 a.m. last night to play with my new iPod. I absolutely LOVE it. I've been wanting one for a long time, but never actually shelled out the cash to buy one until now, and I'm glad I did. Go get one!

Kyle said...

Wow, cool blog, very interesting subjects...one thing I couldn't ever pull off when I included text articles on one of my other blogs. To answer your question, yes I'm selling prints, but as of now I haven't found a good way to impliment that. I've tried ebay, but it's hard to make any money on that (not like that really matters...at the point i'm at now, the only thing that matters to me is that someone is willing to spend money on something i've made and maybe display it in their house). Thanks for the message and keep up the awesome site.

Kyle

tmfrt said...

I had the same kind of revelation last night, wondering, what is it all for? People actually disgust me. They strive for things just because it's what's expected of them; they act certain ways 'cos it's the "normal" way to act or react.

I'm glad there are still idealists, even if we are few... it actually gives me hope, 'cos sometimes I feel so alone in this world. I see the pattern of my life, and a "normal" person would probably think I'm an escapist, but I think it's the only way I can cope - to run as far away as possible from everything that tries to standardize me in some way, or everything that makes me feel like I'm crazy for feeling the way I do.

Is it really bad that I furiously reject becoming a member of society? :p

Anonymous said...

Some people do take life too seriously. They're taught that a higher education is essential for success. Think of all the celebrities and self-made people who were dropouts. If you really want something, you can get it without a college education. Street smarts are where it's at.

http://pimme.blog-city.com

Janet said...

How does the saying go? Hindsight is 20/20? If only you knew then what you know now. College students now are no different than they were a few years ago. Very few twenty somethings know their true direction in life. I think that's what they twenties are for actually.

The Cure said...

The Twenties are definatly for finding yourself and for getting vision for your life. I just think a lot of times people use school or the next step in the checklist as an excuse to not make those decisions. The twenties is alos a time where a lot of people get married, it is a good idea to figure out your vision for your life before you get married otherwise your spouse may wake up to an unpleasant surprise when you finally do figure it out.

There is definatly no easy answer, but I think it helps to put a lot of thought into it.

Cat said...

Inner vision is what I have, and sharing it with the rest of the world. Nothing catches fire until you light a match in yourself.